Xbox SmartGlass, Microsoft’s attempt on augmenting users Xbox experience to their mobile devices has just been released (with the latest dashboard update), along with apps for Windows Phone Users (all 4 of them) and the more popular Android platform.
The SmartGlass app allows Xbox users to:
- Navigate your Xbox 360 with swipe and tap
- Use your phone’s keyboard to type to your Xbox 360
- Browse the Internet on your Xbox 360 with full keyboard and zooming
- Play, pause, fast forward, rewind, and stop videos and music on your Xbox 360
- Search the full Xbox catalogue of music, video, and games
- Enjoy rich, interactive experiences from select game and entertainment content creators
- Track and compare your achievements with your Xbox friends
- Change up your 3D avatar
- Message your Xbox friends
- Edit your Xbox profile
To run the app, you’ll need Android 4.0+ and there seems to be a disappointing lack of tablet support. However based off the reviews, the general consensus is that the app is worth downloading for Xbox users, with improvement such as an exceptional increase in usability in Internet Explorer – but who ever Googled things on their games console anyway?
Unusually, the iOS app hasn’t been released yet.